Earlier this week I picked up some new hay, just cut this year. It is a grass/clover mix and is nice and dry and smells wonderful! The horses loved it. The clover content is low, which is why I wasn’t too worried about it causing problems…but my little grey mare must have decided it was a bit too palatable and ate more than her share.
Tuesday when I came home from trimming horses, there she was , all sprawled out in the sun, while the other horses were down in the shade. I had just picked up some baby guinea chicks and needed to get them out of their small cardboard box before they suffocated and so was washing out a rubbermaid tote to put them in and so I watched her while I washed.
She was up and down, up and down. Rolling up near the fence, then hiding behind the garden fence, lying down…in the sun. She wasn’t swating flies or trying to graze. I got the chicks out of their hot cardboard box and into the bigger tote with food and water and then went and drew up a syringe of banamine for Amira.
By this time I was in somewhat of a panic because I lost a horse to colic once, and this colic looked kind of serious. I couldn’t remember the dosage for the banamine. (Banmine is a powerful pain reliever and is what vets use for horses that are colicing.) My computer was out of bandwidth because we had watched too many videos the day before so I couldn’t look up the dosage. Finally I thought to look on the label, and yep, there it was…in tiny, tiny, print…the dosage.
I hoped I was reading it right. I had to wash out a syringe because it was the only one I had that would hold the 5 CC’s I’d decided she needed. (I have been meaning to order new boxes of syringes and needles but haven’t gotten around to it.)
I went back outside once I’d gotten the banamine shot drawn up and found Amira covered in pine needles, hiding behind the compost pile, groaning. I gave her the shot, and she didn’t flinch. She was letting the horse flies eat her up and she was covered with blood from them and over heated.
I let the banamine work while I went and found a halter and lead rope. By the time I got back to her and put the halter on, she was willing to get up and even walk. I took her out of the sun and put her under a huge walnut tree with a tie hitch in the back yard.
I got some of my peppermint soap and gave her a nice long bath. I rubbed and massaged her back and stomach and she seemed to really enjoy it. The horseflies didn’t appear to like the peppermint soap much and took off.
After her bath I walked her around the yard and up and down the road for a while. Finally she started putting her head down to graze and looked much happier. I put her back out into the pasture that’s on regrow so she could graze and I would not need to give her any hay.
She’s been fine since then and none of the other horses have had a problem with the hay. There is no mold in it, I just think it was a little fresher than her normal hay and so she overate until she gave herself a stomach ache.
You know the old saying…too much of a good thing…
Related articles by Zemanta
- Trapped horses rescued from fire (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Looks Like Apple Is Suing HTC (Again) (techcrunch.com)