Caritas Loses a Shoe


When we put the EVA shoes on Caritas, my glue gun had gummed up and would not work, and it was getting dark, and I couldn’t figure out what to do about gluing, so we opted not to glue.  I had a feeling that the shoes might not stay on without the glue.

If Caritas had a more bell shaped foot, or more distortion in it, the shoe probably would have held on just fine, but his feet have a pretty good shape to them now, and so this morning I looked out the window and there was his right shoe, lying beside his food dish.  Darn.

CG needed to get to work, and since my casts turn out better when I have a helper, I opted to duct tape it back on.

Unfortunately, the shoe would not go back on his foot, so I put an easyboot glove with a 6mm pad on him instead, just to even him up. I’ll have to wait until CG gets home and then we’ll reapply the EVA shoe with a new cast.  Probably a 3 inch with glue this time instead of the 2 inch.

easyboots, natural hoof care, eva shoes, hoof casting

An EVA shoe on the left front, and an Easyboot Glove on the right.

Hopefully I can figure out how to get these things to stay on for at least a 4 week trim cycle.  I think they really are a very valuable tool, especially for foundered and laminitic horses.  The combination of thick padding and the casting, which reduces chatter and damage within the hoof wall during periods of inflammation, is just a great idea.

Share on FacebookShare

Enhanced by Zemanta
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s